Exam

PART A: You, the Writer

• What was your writing identity?

My writing identity prior to this course was that I was a person who was forced to writing in class. I didn’t enjoy writing and I didn’t bother myself with it. My identity as a writer was a person who liked beautiful pieces and didn’t know how to create them, but wanted to. I wasn’t too interested with poems but short stories enticed me a lot. the first things I’ve tried to write were short stories. Starting writing with short stories is probably the reason I wanted to take a writing class so it could improve my imagery skills and help me become a better writer.

• What is your writing identity now?

My writing identity now is that I’m someone who enjoys to write for fun and usually write to relieve stress. The biggest part of my writing identity now is that I no long like to do a short story format but I more like doing poems or very short except on things like death or love. I have been able to provide my readers with more interesting lines in my pieces where they can stay hooked on and continue to read and enjoy the piece.

• Reflect on your development as a writer

IDEAS:

It’s very hard to find many ideas to write about and I usually find myself lost for a while with no ideas to write about. the way I find inspiration is through my own experiences and others experiences. I find that writing the truth helps me write better and it helps me draw the reader in because they may be able to connect to the truth I write about. I also find inspiration through books. it’ll usually be one line in a book that catches my eye and ill try to transform that line into some sort of piece.

DETAILS:

I feel lie the detail I’ve put into my pieces could use some more work. with most of my pieces I don’t describe the scenery very well so the power of the piece is dimmed and less symbolism can be used. I feel like if I began to work through my pieces with more care and used symbolism with more depth (more meaning behind objects) I would be able to draw in the reader and have people be able to have more wow moments as they read my writing. But without these needs for detail I’m able to focus more on themes and bring them out better. begin able to focus solely on what someone is thinking with no imagery I feel has a greater impact on the reader and will stay with them for longer than when you build up outlines for scenery.

STRUCTURE:

the structure of my writing is always changing, so I don’t know myself the structure of my writing. But, one thing about my writing either in my poems at a period or and the end of a paragraph in my stories all of them you’ll usually be able to find an ending at those points. you’ll be able to end my piece and either a period in a poem and be content or end a paragraph in my piece and be content because they all provide some sort of ending because that’s how I separate my paragraphs or phases in my poems.

VOICE AND STYLE:

throughout this semester, I feel like I have found my voice in writing. before I wasn’t a writing an I didn’t have a distinct voice. I only feel like I have a voice now because my writing usually has deep emotion that is usually told from a person of experience. this writing directly relates to me thus I feel like I have found my voice. my style is unknown because well I just write with no preparation and I take on whatever style I feel like is right. I don’t have a specific style I just write in the moment and have fun with it my pen takes control and the style is found on the page. afterwards I just looking for mistakes and add either more complex sentences or more simple sentences depending on if the piece is full of complex and intricate sentences or many simple sentences.

GUMPS:

My GUMPS haven’t gotten any better over this course because even if I look over my work I still can’t see many of the mistakes I have made throughout it.

• How would you explain your voice?

My voice is emotion and true.

• What is stylistic of you

being straight forward, helping my reader see my theme easily, and providing a few wow sentences in my pieces (only a few because that way they’ll remember the piece because if you have too many they wont remember all of them and they will not remember what your piece was about).

• As a mentor writer, what advice would you give to future creative writers

My advice would be to never erase what you’ve written. even if you don’t like what you wrote it would be a waste to erase it because there is always something you can take away from what you wrote. you never know when something you hate can turn into something you love it just happens. so, keep all your writing and never use your eraser when you write.

• Future goals and plans regarding writing

My goals are just to write for fun because if I write like it’s a job nothing good will come of it. I want to write for fun because then I’ll can show others my writing and they might be able to smile from it. making people smile is my main goal in life and I feel like writing can help me achieve that. I have just started writing and so doing something I like and achieving my goals I really want that to continue so ill try to write a post worthy piece every 2 weeks.

PART B: You, the Blogger

• Reflect on your development as a blogger

My writing on my blog is mostly things I’m proud of. the only things I’m not proud of are the things I’ve done right before its due before the deadline because at those times writing feels like a job. my aesthetics on my blog isn’t really that well. the heading is something that draws you in but the background is plain and boring and doesn’t catch the eye. my posts are relatively better because before I would only have one post per month on my blog now I have 2-3 per month. I have become a better blogger over the course and I’m happy about that.

• How would you critique your blog?

POSITIVE:

One thing that could draw readers to continue to keep reading my material is the amount of emotion I put into my pieces. They could also come back because I provide very relatable material so they connect with it. The themes of love, death and regret usually keep people coming back and once you put a great amount of emotion and an ever-changing style or structure I feel like it always keeps people coming back to the writing.

NEED TO IMPROVE:

I need to improve on my aesthetics and my title. the aesthetics on my blog are terrible and I’m not proud of it. I should have put more effort into it so more people will be compelled to read what I write. I should also provide extra things on my blog like and ever-changing life quote on the side or a daily read like a short paragraph that takes you to find either peace and serenity or a paragraph that makes you find more encouragement to improve your day.

• What will you do with your blog after this course

I am going to move all the pieces I’m proud of and post them onto another blog I have and I’m going to continue to post on that

• Which student blogs would you continue to follow

Hope – http://heartmurmurs.edublogs.org/

Alysha – http://girlofmist.edublogs.org/

Tiana – http://perdonare.edublogs.org/

Sheema – http://shaymaon.edublogs.org/

Carmen – http://smilessthroughtrialss.edublogs.org/

Those are my top 5 students I will follow and read all their writing but I would love to read everyone in the classes writing because everyone in this class produces such amazing and inspiring writing it’s just beautiful what my classmates can do with their words.

• What professional bloggers have you explored

I haven’t explored any professional bloggers because the writing produced by my classmates has kept me interested and occupied for this whole course.

PART C: You, the Student

• Discuss the aha from Creative Writing class

Many things I’ve taken away from creative writing. one thing I took away is that a picture can have a million different stories. its easier to twist a story out of a great picture than it is from a short story. another thing I took away from it was how your structure of writing can change in an instant. I was a short story writer before now I favour poems or short simple piece or ill go back to short stories. As long as it works it’ll turn out the way you want it no matter the style. the notebook kept me the most active I could jot down future stories and ideas and themes and I could create pieces out of what I’ve jotted down in my notebook. the best thing about creative writing wasn’t writing at all though. the best thing was the atmosphere I got from the class and the teacher and the room itself is was super relaxing and just so accepting. it was a place I could forget my problems and just relax and take a load off. And how could I forget the nature walks I just loved them because I could just unwind and let go of any stress on my mind forget about life and be one with nature. all my problems were gone and I could have a clear conscious and it was just great.

• What have you accomplished as a reader?
  • What is your PLAN to read next?

as a reader, I’ve been able to read 1.5 books per month which is amazing considering I’ve have barely finished 3 books in a whole year last year. the best book I’ve read this semester has to be My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult. this book was just amazing providing various perspectives in the book and having such a blunt way of saying things. the character development was just beautiful and always kept you intrigued. it was able to show me that even if your writing is blunt you’re still able to express powerful emotion. what I plan to read next is the Kite Runner because I’ve read it to a point where the beginning just made me cry and I had to put it down and I just couldn’t continue it. I just want to be able to finish this heart-breaking novel.

• What have you accomplished as a writer
  • What is your PLAN to write next?

what I’ve accomplished as a writer is finding my voice and expressing my emotions in my pieces. the plan I have to keep writing by either asking one of my friends to give me ten words and I try to accomplish writing a piece based on that or I look at pictures and put a spin on the picture I’m looking at and try to give it life.

• Will I take Creative Writing again?

I really want to be able to take creative writing again but I might not be able to because of other courses I have to take. if my parents make me take calculus then I’ll have to do that instead of taking creative writing if they don’t then ill take creative writing.

PART D: You, the FAN

• How has studying published authors changed/improved your writing? What craft decisions improved your final piece

being able to emulate off great authors piece has helped me use a different style of writing I’ve never used before and that helps me use that style of writing to further enhance floating ideas I have.

• Are you glad you did your writer? Who different would you consider? Why?

I feel indifferent about who I did in my writer’s seminar because while Rumi is a great poet I just didn’t or well couldn’t connect with his work very well. if I were to do someone different it would have to be Jodi Picoult. The only reason I have is because I want to explore her works more. after I read My Sister’s Keeper I was awestruck and I was just amazed by her work and I would like to discover more of her pieces that make me feel this way.

• What genres have interested you the most

the genres the interest me the most are love, death, and mystery.

• What did you learn from the writers?

from the writers, I learnt a variety of different styles. I learnt how I can use tone to provide more emotion in the piece. mainly I just learnt different ways to convey wondering ideas in my head better.

• Emulation

( DAIRY OF A PIANO-TUNER’S WIFE)

Weak…

My whole life I’ve felt like a garden.

I feel amazing at times thriving and growing off kindness shown to me. Those are my spring days, the days I feel alive.

In my winter days, I’m dead. I hide away into my seed and hope to make it another day. I pray that the people influencing my garden pour kind, warm water into it rather than shovel cold, painful ice. I can never see the people who enter my garden. These large stones act like a brick wall blocking me from knowing my future. They are the only barrier I have from the outside world. This brick wall meant to protect me only hinders my growth and destroys me.

I’m unable to spread my leaves and shine with the beauty of the sun when the only energy I get is that of other people. Don’t get me wrong I love when people rain love upon me. But, sadly that never happens anymore.

People throw trash at me. This trash always stays trapped in my confined space. It’s a negative comment, a hurtful self-image shown from someone else’s eyes, or a physical bruise. Never does something good stay. I use up all the positivity to overgrow the trash, but after I use it all the trash begins to take over again. I have no say in what other people do to me. I cannot stop them from throwing trash and I cannot make them rain in love. I’ll have to take the love when given and grow or I’ll have to take the trash and shrink. These circumstantial constraints have caused other people and myself to become unable to get to see my true self.

I could’ve been a beautiful rose down by a flower shop, where my outside influences only have love to give me. I could have been a magnificent lavender flower that when smelt I express all the beauty of freedom. But, sadly I’m not. Unlike the rose bathed in love, I’m covered in eternal hate. Unlike the lavender who experiences the beauty of freedom, I’m restricted by these boundaries people have forced me to be confined in. People influencing my garden have set limits to my growth and no matter what I do I cannot destroy these boundaries. Each brick that lays in front of me, reveals another constraint placed on me. Whether it be a physical or emotional constraint, I cannot change it.

For me being a weak spineless flower going up against a brick wall of restrictions, its impossible for me to win. No matter how hard I try I wouldn’t be able to move even a single brick. I am weak whenever a brick appears. It started off with one unmovable brick and slowly it grew into a brick wall as more and more people began to influence my garden. At this point I cannot even see the true horizon something that is always there.

My horizon has become the height of this brick wall.

I am forever affected by the shackles placed on me and I cannot do anything about it.

• Do you intend to read more of a writer?

I intend to read more of R. M Drake. his writing has been the one to stand one to me and really catch my eye. I feel like I would be more inspired if I read his work on a deeper level.

PART E: You, the Critic of your work

Dark Mind

Her Light

Pretty Is A Lie

1.  what is the title and what is the significance of the title
  2. in 17 words summarize what your piece is about in terms of theme and what happens
  3. what was your purpose and audience for your piece
  4. what/who influenced the creation of your written product
  5. discuss the craft/style decisions you made, provide examples
  6. discuss your process for experimentation, revision, and feedback and any epiphanies you achieved
  7. any final thoughts about this piece

DARK MIND:

the title is Dark Mind and the significance of the title is to either invite people to read something dark or to push them away from reading this piece because of its nature.

suicidal thoughts, finding no life purpose, wanting to die, knowing the effects of leaving that life for another.

the purpose of writing this piece was to vent my ideas and what I thought about myself on a place where I could see it so that somehow, I could be able to counter these ideas I have about myself and not try what I have tried before. the audience was for anyone who was willing to read something blunt and dark so people into suicidal/death pieces

the thing that influenced me was my own suicidal thoughts

I decided to be very blunt and have a casual way about talking about such a topic as if it were like doing something routine. “Sure, they say things like, “I’m dead” or, “I feel like dying” but have they ever meant it. Unlike them, I’ve meant it before. It’s almost been a year since I’ve tried to act on this meaning. Isn’t it funny how I tried to die on the day Jesus was born. Am I a devil? Did he figure out that I was and try to kill me? Everyone says hell is below us. Maybe that’s why I feel so much more connected to the earth than the sky.”

I didn’t revise this piece. besides having checked it for grammar issues I kept it the same and didn’t want to change it because if I tried to change it then I could’ve possibly began to lie in a piece that is mainly meant for me. I need to read this piece and see what I’ve done see what state I was in and try to correct my thought process. if I were to be dishonest and change things with this post then I may not have been able to gain anything from it.

despite this piece begin rather dark and true I have grown quite proud of it because it is one of my better piece on this blog

HER LIGHT

Her Light is the title of this piece and its significance is to represent the light that people who feel love towards another see around the other they love.

lost love, conflicting heart and mind, ever attracting light, empty feeling when someone you love leaves you.

the purpose of writing this piece was to get the thoughts of a girl off my chest and to leave old memories that dragged me down in the past. the audience for this piece could be anyone who has been left before or is in a relationship. they would be the only ones who could connect with this piece because they are either in that situation right now or they can be able to think about that situation and find ways to prevent this feeling of emptiness.

the person that influenced this writing was someone I liked who left

a style I used in this piece was explaining something that could’ve been explained in one sentence in many.”

I feel it continuously bang itself against my lungs,

Whenever I talk to others, I like, it suffocates me

I’m unable to speak as it punches the air out of me.”

I could’ve replaced this with the sentence I couldn’t talk anymore, but having the description of how a heart feverishly banging against the lungs knocking your breath away causing you to be unable to talk provides so much more emotion and description that the reader stays interested into this piece.

I wrote this piece at 3:36am before a due date, so considering the time and the due date I briefly checked for grammar mistakes and made some changes to some awkward sentences. that was the extent of revision I had on this piece.

my final thoughts about this piece are just to learn from what I’ve done and just try not to make regrets in my life that I will judge myself on for many months because in the end it wont be worth it.

PRETTY IS A LIE:

the title of this piece is Pretty Is A Lie and this significance of this title is to give an immediate idea of what I’m trying to argue.

real beauty, obsession and false greatness achieved by being eye-catching, insulting others by commenting on outer beauty.

the purpose of the piece was to give the word pretty a bad meaning or well a different meaning and help show others how something inside is worth more than something we can see from afar. the audience of this piece is anyone who is willing open their minds and willing to listen to what I have to say. it is also meant for people who feel body insecurities because I feel like no one should care how they look to be treated the same.

who influenced me to write this piece was probably Prince EA a YouTuber who does poetry because I liked the style of which he presents his poem so I tried to use that style and combine it with something I feel is true.

I tried to make it feel like I was next to you lecturing you so that the impact of this piece would reach you better and the reader might listen. I tried this by using words like you, your, his, hers so they felt like they knew the person I was talking about. ” See, if you turn to a friend and call them pretty. What are you really saying? You’re saying that their body looks nice or their clothes look nice or their makeup looks nice. You aren’t calling them pretty. “

I experimented quite a bit with this piece because it was the first time I consciously tried to adopt another writers style and use it to convey an idea in my head. I watched at least 4 of his videos with the same style so I had it embedded into my mind as I wrote.

my final thought on this piece is that even though I see people body shaming others everyday the people I see doing it will not change because even if I do interfere like I’ve done before they’ll forget about it the next day and continue. so, the only thing you can do is motivate the person being body shamed and hopefully they’ll be able to see through the taunts and live a better and more confident life.

http://kurld.com/wallpapers/sunrise-image.html – picture

Skip to toolbar